With Tennessee Promise, many students are looking for a place to get in their community service hours. It can be difficult to come up with ideas for this, so feel free to check here if you want some help finding a way to get your hours.
- Nursing Homes: Nursing homes usually appreciate receiving volunteers to spend time with those inside. Spend time speaking to some of the people inside or even volunteer to help with a craft or game event that takes place. This is especially great for anyone who may be going into medicine, has an interest in hearing life stories, or appreciates meeting and learning from those who may have more experience than you.
- Animal shelters: Sometimes it helps to find a shelter near you and offer to help them clean and feed the animals there. This would be an extra great experience if you love animals but cannot have one in your home. You will get some time to help prospective pets and get those service hours in, fast.
- Vol State: ALWAYS check for volunteer opportunities through the Office of Student Life and Diversity at Vol State. Some of the events held offer students a great chance to get a few hours in. Keep up with these events by reading The Settler, speaking with the coordinator of student activities or asking the SGA President.
- Schools (and Libraries): Maybe a local school or library is needing volunteers to help with a school event or after school program. It could be anything from supervising children, helping set up, providing a fun craft, or even tutoring.
- Tutoring opportunities: Are you really good with a subject? Check in with certain school facilities (Like, say, Vol State’s Library if you are REALLY good) and see if they offer a tutoring program that may be able to stand as a volunteer opportunity for you.
- Community and Community Events: Perhaps there is someone in your community that needs help? Simply spending a few hours a day with them could help them greatly. Maybe your community is holding a public event? Volunteer to help ensure everything goes well.
Do you have a suggestion you would like to add? Put it in the comments below, and maybe you will be able to help someone get the service hours they need!